Is there anything more desirable than a cake? Wait! I mean, blueberry coconut cake. Most compelling evidence is that of blueberry health benefits. Maybe elixir of life has as main ingredient: blueberry. Not only because of its color, but even because of the effects it gives when consuming.
Firstly, It’s an anti-aging food. Antioxidants in blueberry help reverse damage done by toxins and free radicals and help your body defend itself against dangerous pathogens.
Moreover clinical studies have even discovered that, unlike radiation and chemotherapy strategies, gallic acid rich foods like blueberry can kill cancer without harming healthy cells! Blueberry benefits cancer primarily because it’s wide range of antioxidants with gallic acid being the primary and resveratrol also offering support.
Another key thing to remember is that being a natural source of soluble and insoluble fiber, blueberries can help regulate your gastrointestinal track by just eating a couple handfuls a day.
Eating strawberries and blueberries together has a superpower tag-team effect that actually decreases your risk of heart attack by up to 33%.
Problems with acne? It has been reported that the wide spectrum of vitamins and minerals help restore hormone balance, which counteracts acne. Also, blueberries contain resveratrol which has been proven to reduce damage from over-sun exposure and can naturally darken your skin.
Now let’s talk about the queen of this article: Blueberry coconut cake, which main ingredients are:
- 225 g fresh coconut, shelled, peeled and grated, reserving any coconut water
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 2½g/½ tsp baking powder
- 4 medium eggs
- 225 g caster sugar
- 225 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
For the Coconut Liqueur Syrup
50 g granulated sugar
5 tbsp coconut liqueur
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Meanwhile, prepare a 23 cm loose-bottomed cake tin with oil and line the base with a disc of grease proof paper.
- Place all the ingredients for the cake into a large mixing bowl or food processor and mix to form a batter-like consistency..
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed with a finger.
- Meanwhile prepare the syrup: place the sugar into a small pan, sieve the reserved coconut water add to the pan and bring to the boil. Boil for 2 minutes, add the coconut liqueur and allow to cool.
- Remove the cake from oven and whilst hot pierce the surface of the cake with a skewer or cocktail stick. Slowly pour over the coconut liqueur syrup and leave the cake to cool in the tin.
- Remove the cooled cake from the tin and place onto a plate. Just before serving in a large bowl whisk the mascarpone cheese with the lemon juice and coconut liqueur.
- Spread the mixture over the top of the cake. Sprinkle over the blueberries and decorate with the coconut curls.