We choose healthy food for kids who are picky eaters, and spinach is a worthy representative of this food category. Cheesy spinach squares is a perfect creation in kitchen for kids to find spinach attractive and delicious. These delicious squares are nutrient packed: spinach is a good source of protein, calcium, fiber, iron, niacin, zinc and vitamins A, C, K and B6. Nevertheless, kids love these treats! Two cheeses complement the spinach perfectly, so the issue of “eating your vegetables” may never come up. Cheddar cheese is a hard English cheese, while Parmesan is a hard Italian cheese. Parmesan has a rich flavor and less aging time while Cheddar cheese is less expensive and has fewer calories, but their flavor combination is perfect to children taste as well.
We have found spinach delicious and nutrient packed in other recipes here in Plantfem like: Spinach Gnocchi baked in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce and Spanakopita, but this dish is a perfect advice for parents who want their kids to eat healthy food.
For 6–8 serves you will need these ingredients:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (5 oz/155 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb (500 g) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb (500 g) chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup (1 oz/30 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a 9-by-13-inch (23-by-33-cm) rimmed baking sheet or baking dish with parchment paper. Pour the melted butter into the prepared pan and spread to coat evenly.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until well blended. Whisk in the milk, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the Cheddar and spinach and stir until combined. Pour the spinach mixture into the prepared pan and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle the Parmesan evenly over the top.
- Bake until the top is lightly browned and the juices are bubbling, 30–40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool until just warm to the touch. Cut into 2-inch (5-cm) squares and serve.
Recipe by: The Supper Club
As mentioned above, they are perfect for your kids, for your lovely picky eaters, but they are a great party hors d’oeuvre as well. They can be sliced into very small bite-size squares, they don’t make a mess, and they taste great either warm or at room temp. If you don’t plan on hosting a holiday soiree of your own, you should still make these Spinach and Cheese Squares! When sliced a bit larger, they’re a great weeknight side dish.