What is your favorite recipe where sweet potato is the main ingredient? Let me assure you that after getting all the amazing flavors in stuffed sweet potato + quinoa form, you will fall in love with this recipe. It’s all in one kind of recipe: healthy, tasty and beautiful colors in one dish. These stuffed sweet potatoes are awesome! It’s a dish for all the family, the favorite of kids and grandparents. These vitamin and nutrient packed sweet potatoes are full of the perfect blend of flavors. The honey and lime combination makes it more special. It is really remarkable how the honey-lime enhances the sweetness of the potatoes without being more than sweet thanks to the tart and tang of the lime. Quinoa, the plant of the goosefoot family, is high in fat content and can provide valuable amounts of heart-healthy fats like monounsaturated fat. Do you want more about nutrient values of this dish? Regarding its decoration let’s top it with a little bit of cheese and season with the right mixture of spices.
Ingredients necessary for Honey-Lime Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed then pierced several times with a fork
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups grilled or frozen corn
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 1/2 Tbsp honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese (1/2 cup)
- Sour cream for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and broth to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and saute until tender, about 4 minutes, adding in garlic during last 30 seconds of sauting. Add onion mixture to cooked quinoa, along with black beans, corn, cumin, paprika, coriander, cayenne, lime juice and honey, 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro and toss mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut cooked sweet potatoes in half and scoop out some of the sweet potato flesh to create a bowl shape, while leaving about 1/3 to 1/2-inch of sweet potato intact (reserve scooped out potato in refrigerator for another use). Fill sweet potatoes with quinoa mixture, then sprinkle tops evenly with cheese. Transfer to oven and broil until cheese has melted. Serve warm garnished with cilantro and sour cream if desired.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy