What you need during this cold period is immune-boosting soup and one of them is that with carrot and ginger. Treat yourself to this low-fat, healthy carrot soup, where the presence of ginger intensify the flavor and gives a boos to your health.
- 3 large carrots
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- a pinch of cayenne pepper, plus extra to serve
- 20 g wholemeal bread
- 1 tbsp soured cream, plus extra to serve
- 200 ml vegetable stock
How can you prepare it? Peel and chop the carrots and put in a blender with the ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper, wholemeal bread, soured cream and vegetable stock. Blitz until smooth. Heat until piping hot. Swirl through some extra soured cream, or a sprinkling of cayenne, if you like.
Spiced root vegetable soup is the other hearty vegetarian soup you will need during cold days if winter and we can consider this as a well an immune-boosting soup. You’ll will need only 10 minutes to prepare it.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 1 red chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 75 g dried green lentils
- 1.3 l vegetable stock
- 425 ml milk
- 100 g Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and fry for 5 mins until softened. Tip in the remaining veg and cook for another 5 mins, adding the chilli and cumin for final 2 mins.
- Add the lentils and stock to the pan. Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for 25 mins until veg are tender and lentils are soft. Blitz until smooth with the milk and a little extra water or stock, if necessary. Season, then reheat until piping hot.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of chopped coriander.