Kale is the queen of greens and a powerful nutritional super food important to your health. Add more kale to your diet because:
1. Kale is low in calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat.
2. High in iron. Per calorie, kale has more iron than beef. Iron is essential for good health, such as the formation of hemoglobin and enzymes, transporting oxygen to various parts of the body, cell growth, proper liver function and more.
3. High in Vitamin K, which can help protect against various cancers and can help people who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease.
4. It is filled with powerful antioxidants, such as carotenoids and flavonoids, that help protect against various cancers.
5. It is a great anti-inflammatory food.
6. It is great for cardiovascular support. Eating more kale can help lower cholesterol levels.
7. Kale is high in Vitamin A. It is great for your skin as well as helping to prevent lung and oral cavity cancers.
8. It is high in Vitamin C. This is very helpful for your immune system, your metabolism and your hydration.
9. It is high in calcium. Per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk, which aids in preventing bone loss, preventing osteoporosis and maintaining a healthy metabolism.
10. It is a great detox food.
Now that you’re acquainted to the health benefits of kale, have a look at these two different salads, choose the one you would like to have on your table today:
Kale, Pomegranate & Ricotta salad
Ingredients (for 8 servings)
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch red Russian or purple kale
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces ricotta salata
Combine shallot, vinegar, and pomegranate molasses in a large bowl; season dressing with salt and pepper and let sit 5 minutes. Add kale to dressing, season with salt and pepper, and massage dressing into leaves. Add pomegranate seeds and oil and toss to combine. Serve topped with ricotta salata.