You can use the salad Niçoise as a fridge-clearing exercise. And it doesn’t finish here, because the ingredients that make up this delicious salad are healthy and a nice combination of tastes. While the Caesar salad takes kindle to innovations, the Niçoise is altogether more conservative. You may think that a salade Niçoise must contain cooked French beans and potatoes. Indeed, the traditional Niçoise contains neither cooked vegetables nor lettuce and rests instead on a foundation of tender broad beans or artichokes. Some fashionable chefs use seared fresh tuna or fresh anchovies. If you have bought fresh anchovies, chances are they are still whole and will need to be cleaned. Do yourself a favor and clean them at once. Do not waste time, as anchovies deteriorate faster than almost any other fish.
It is more expensive, but why not trying this healthier version of Niçoise salad, for a change and for more nutritional values.
For six persons you will need the following ingredients:
- 10 medium tomatoes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 12 anchovy fillets or 350 g tinned tunny fish
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 green peppers
- 6 spring onions
- 225 g small broad beans or 12 small globe artichokes
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 100 g black olives
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 basil leaves salt, pepper
Method of preparation
- Start the preparation of this salad by quartering the tomatoes and salt them slightly on the chopping board.
- Then, quarter or slice the hard-boiled eggs. Cut each anchovy fillet into 3 or 4 pieces, or shred the tunny fish. Next, peel the cucumber and slice it finely. Cut the peppers, onions and artichokes or broad beans into very thin slices. As you can see on the chopping board, different colors dominate which means that this salad will be not only delicious and healthy but even beautiful and yo can eat it with eyes.
- There is nothing more efficient to a salad than rubbing a large salad bowl thoroughly with the two halves of the clove of garlic, put in all the above ingredients except the tomatoes, and add the olives.
- Drain the tomatoes, salt them again slightly, and put them to the bowl.
- Make a dressing with the olive oil, the finely chopped basil, pepper and salt. Pour on to the salad, which should be chilled before serving.
- As the various ingredients that go into the salad Niçoise are of bright and contrasting colors, they can be arranged most decoratively in the salad bowl.