Yukon Gold potatoes & Massaman chicken is a healthy dish which is an interpretation of Persian dish. Massaman or matsaman is not a native Thai word. It is generally thought to refer to the Muslims with earlier writers from the mid-19th century calling the dish “Mussulman curry”. The flavors of the massaman curry paste, nam phrik kaeng matsaman come from spices that are not frequently used in other Thai curries. It is added to this modified chicken recipe Yukon Gold potatoes, and it is a large variety of potato most distinctly characterized by its thin, smooth eye free skin and yellow tinged flesh. It was developed in 1960s by G. R. Johnston and R.G. Rowberry in Guelph, Ontario, Canada at the University of Guelph.
Ingredients for 8 servings are:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 4–4½-lb. chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- Kosher salt
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1½ lb.), quartered
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- ¾ cup Massaman Curry Paste
- 12 oz. Belgian-style wheat beer
- 4 13.5-oz. cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon palm or light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro sprigs, fried shallots, and cooked rice (for serving)
You will need approximately 45 minutes to prepare this recipe and in total including the cooking part, you will need 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and cook in batches, skin side down, until golden brown (do not turn), 8–10 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Cook potatoes in same pot, turning occasionally, until brown, 8–10 minutes; transfer to another plate. Cook onions in pot, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 5–8 minutes; transfer to plate with potatoes.
Add curry paste to pot and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add beer. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until reduced by half, 5–7 minutes. Add chicken, coconut milk, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is very tender, 1–1½ hours.
Return potatoes and onions to pot and cook until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, and chile powder; season with salt and pepper. Top with cilantro and shallots. Serve with rice.
You can prepare ahead chicken, which can be made 2 days ahead. After preparing cover and let it chill.