Motto of Halloween is: be afraid, be afraid… Put your scariest clothes, like a stealthy vampire or a sneaky zombie and walk around at the Halloween party, scare the others, drink that scary drink and eat those scary appetizers….Guacamole the Guatemalan Way, Cheesy Goblin Head, or Halloween Carrot Fingers, may look daunting, but don’t be mistaken by the look, try and you’ll change your mind. Curious about the ingredients and the way they are prepared? Have a look at the three different recipes.
Guacamole the Guatemalan Way
- 2 ripe but not mushy avocados, chopped in large cubes
- 1 medium tomato, chopped in fairly large chunks
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 fresh green chile, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Bag of Multicolored Tortilla Chips
In a large bowl, gently toss, the avocado, tomato, red onion, green chile, cilantro, salt and lime juice. Leave the pit in until you are ready to transfer to the platter. Chill in the fridge until 15 minutes before guests arrive.
Carve a small pumpkin to have a face that looks like it is puking. Place it on a large platter with a candle inside.
Spoon the guacamole onto the platter in front of the jack o’lantern’s face. Distribute multi-colored tortilla chips around the perimeter of the guacamole.
Cheesy Goblin Head
- 28 ounce package cream cheese
- 18 ounce package shredded taco-flavored cheese
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 28 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- Tortilla chips
- Pickled pepper
- Pimiento-stuffed olives
- Red pepper-stuffed olives
- Shredded beets
- Carrot sticks
- Assorted crackers
- Green sweet pepper
- Place 2 packages of cream cheese, taco-flavored cheese, and margarine in a mixing bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add milk to the cheese mixture in the mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula. Cover bowl and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Form cheese mixture into a head shape and place on a serving plate. In a bowl, stir the remaining cream cheese until smooth. Spread head with softened cream cheese. Press in tortilla chips for ears. Using wooden toothpicks, attach a pickled whole pepper for nose, pimiento-stuffed olives for eyes, and pepper-stuffed olives for toes. Cut zigzag pieces of sweet pepper for eyebrows. Use shredded beets for hair and press in carrot sticks for teeth. Serve with assorted crackers.
Halloween Carrot Fingers
- 1cup cream cheese dip
- 4long carrots
- 1medium carrot
- 5 sliced almonds
The last of scary appetizers, but the scariest for me, are the carrot fingers.
Fill a serving bowl with the cream cheese dip.
Wash and peel 4 long carrots for fingers and 1 medium carrot for a thumb.
With a paring knife, cut a flat, shallow notch in the tip of each carrot.
Then use a dab of dip or softened cream cheese to glue a sliced-almond fingernail atop each notch.
Stick the fingers in the dip and serve with baby carrots or crackers for dipping.