Almost every household cupboard has ground cinnamon or cinnamon sticks in them. But do we know its health benefit ?
1. Better heart health Researchers has found that a diet rich in spices, like cinnamon and turmeric, helped curb the negative effects of downing a fatty meal.
2. Blood sugar regulation It is found that antioxidant-rich cinnamon extract helped reduce risk factors associated with diabetes and heart disease.
3.Better brain function Research shows that just smelling cinnamon enhances cognitive processing, but consuming it significantly ups brain function.
4. E-coli Fighter/Salmonella One of the most effective E-coli fighters because of cinnamon anti microbial properties. Mix cinnamon oil with hydrogen peroxide and spray your cutting board and kitchen sink especially after you have cut meats. Spray it in your refrigerator. It’s safe and natural.
5. Cold, Sore Throat and Cough – At the first sign (within 5-10 minutes) of sniffles or an itch in your throat take some Cinnamon Tea or Cinnamon stick Tea. It is said to stop an impending illness in its tracks.
You say cinnamon, and the first recipe that comes into mind is a dessert, and more specifically that of Cinnamon rolls.
Ingredients you need:
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar, divided
- In a large sauce pan , heat the almond milk and 3 Tbsp butter until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool to 110 degrees.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 Tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
- Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time and stir. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with canola and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 3 Tbsp melted butter and top with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 – 1Tbsp cinnamon.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8×8 square or comparable sized round pan. Brush with remaining 2 Tbsp melted butter and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve immediately.